Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Visiting with Dad...

I went over to help my father with some organizational items today.... it took a bit longer than expected but that's okay.

There are some very interesting things that happen when you live in a "retirement" community. Near the door of my father's apartment was a small wooden object that looked sort of like a door stop. It's was far from that... It turns out that when you go to your apartment for the evening you stick this little doo-hickey out under your door so it can be seen from the hallway. It means that the apartment is occupied. In the morning if you don't remove it by 10am the staff will come knocking to make sure you aren't dead. It's kind of funny in a twisted sort of way... but hey, I think I would want to be found if I was dead.

I wonder how the people who have to open the doors feel when they know they might be encountering death... I guess they're probably used to it.

No comments: