Sunday, February 16, 2014

Weird Dreams, Walks and Waking up Early

Yesterday I managed to finally meet up with Bradley, the guy from Portland who found my business cards last year at the conference. We went to breakfast and grilled each other about summer camp experiences. It was nice to finally meet him.

After breakfast I perched myself in the lobby and sat around with my business cards sitting out. Some women sitting next to me asked about them and they thought they were fabulous. The woman sitting across from me is the Head of the Fashion Department at Columbia College Fashion Department and she is looking for a new administrative assistant. I mentioned that I had mad administrative skills. She told me to send her my resume... I will probably do it. I'm not really going to up and move myself to Chicago again (although I should never say never). She told me that administrative skills are a very sought after thing in the art world. It gives me hope.

After my perching was done I went to a fantastic session about Creative Capital. Three awardees talked (one of them being my former department head Christine Tarkowski) in addition Nick Cave, and Theaster Gates.  IT WAS AWESOME! 

This is the first time where I really want to order a recording of a session... Theaster Gates is my new spirit animal... he basically called out Art Historians and told them that they needed to talk to artist in order to write about them... not try to discuss their work compared to outdated modes of making and dead artists... Nick Cave pretty announced that he's taking the next 10 years to make different work that has a civic responsibility, he said he was a messenger, not an artist.
Christine was great too... I really miss being around her thoughtful discussion of ideas and processes... it made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

That one session made up for the other lame ones I attended...

Then I walked up Michigan Avenue and went shopping... and took some photos.

It's taking too long to upload so I will do it when I get home tomorrow...

see you later!

No comments: