Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Moving through it...

I've been thinking a lot about forgiveness the past few days.
There has been a lot of time for me to experience self-reflection and examine my feelings of disappointment in what has transpired over the past few days.

I didn't really like the anger that I was feeling and decided that I would focus on looking forward and not thinking about how things didn't work out... spending time with people who love me unconditionally (my friend Michelle suggested this - I think I was already doing it... but it helps to be reminded) and being as loving as I can be to others so they can reflect that back to me.

I have been very vocal on Facebook about my internal struggles over the past few days... I think that's all part of the artist/writer/storyteller in me... It's a way of processing things that will help me get through the other side of the disappointment. I have gotten a bunch of good suggestions and resource material from my friends. One of those resources was given to me by my friend Dawn in Chicago. She suggested I look at the work of Leo Buscaglia... he was a professor of education at USC and was big on the Lecture Circuit in the 70's  - 80's... He is all about positivity and love...

He was big on being kind and loving to others and his work resonated with me particularly well yesterday.

I found this series of youtube videos helpful yesterday... it's dated but the message is good.








There is a particular part that he talks about a woman in one of his classes where she had this realization that "she was a really good plum" and she was trying to make herself into a banana for someone who really liked bananas... but she would never be the best banana... she could only be the best plum she could be.  And if she was the best plum she could be, she would eventually find someone who really liked plums.

I am going to be the best plumb I can be.

In other news...
Zoe the wiener dog is going to get a wheelchair.
I still have a cold but it's getting better and I might be able to jump into Lake Washington tomorrow.
I'm getting my side view mirror replaced today.
Mom and I are going out to dinner tonight.
I weigh less than I did in High School.
My apartment is a mess again...
I activated my ok cupid profile and a 26 year old asked me out. I haven't gotten back to him yet.
I have the best friends in the world...

No comments: